Author Topic: Godus V From Dust  (Read 5133 times)

Offline Gremxula

• March 2003
  • 2,047 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!

Godus V From Dust
« on: Jan 05, 2013, 10:56 pm »
Both claim to be Populous inspired.
What do you think....?
I will post my opinions later.... to be fair  I have played  From Dust for a few levels and abandoned it.
Godus..... Nothing to play yet but  the published  graphics and game-play videos leave a lot to be desired.
In this world there are 10 types of people those that understand binary and the ones don't.

Offline Sylcai

• November 2006
  • 769 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 10
  • Sylcai has an aura about them.Sylcai has an aura about them.Sylcai has an aura about them.Sylcai has an aura about them.Sylcai has an aura about them.Sylcai has an aura about them.Sylcai has an aura about them.Sylcai has an aura about them.Sylcai has an aura about them.Sylcai has an aura about them.
  • Silvester
    • WWW: http://www.22cans.com/forum/index.php
Re: Godus V From Dust
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2013, 06:39 pm »
I played from dust from begin to end. It eventually came down to more of a puzzle game. - never did get past the second time trial.

Godus.. well... still a bit early to decide on that.
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
Godus Avatars with Fancy Border;
https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0By3_EkkYdopMODJ4MlN0dllxazA/edit

Offline fenton_pat

• Administrator
  • March 2003
  • 3,366 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 37
  • fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!
  • Insane Irishman

« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2013, 10:58 am »
Played a few levels of From Dust myself and while it looked awesome, there just didn't seem to be that much game to me :( .

For all your abilities, you had to play each land in pretty much an exact way to get your guys through it.  It was pretty much Lemmings 3D with Awesome graphics :laugh2 !

For Godus to get me smiling, it has to do that trickiest of things - have a decent storyline from which good sandbox functionality can hang off of.

And here's where I start to worry...

While I don't put too much weight on the prototype they developed, I worry about the depth of gameplay Godus will have from what I saw so far.  Apparently, the game will also work on mobile platforms with the only major difference being graphical quality.

This makes me wonder - how can a game that runs on both mobiles and on PC manage to have appropriate levels of gameplay depth on both? 

From Dust looked awesome.  But at the end of the day, it could have easily featured on a phone or tablet (graphics not withstanding).

Granted, given time and money, there seems to be no better man than PM to create a game where there are simplistic controls for accessing a lot of features, but until we see more in this regard, this will be my biggest concern moving forward :suspect .
Demon chicken tamer extraordinaire :D !

Offline Gremxula

• March 2003
  • 2,047 Posts
  • Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!

« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2013, 09:09 pm »
OK..... I delayed my response just to go over  my old RTS games that I still had installed.

At the moment Godus seems to be a bit to simplistic to be of any interest for me.

It took years to develop games  like Populous  1.2&3  B&W 1&2  Fable ...... with P Mx

Now a game that has a budget  for a few weeks development.......is it really  going to be a proper PC game?

I doubt it..... I can see it  as  a phone app.....  but not  as  a serious  PC game.
 Just not enough time or money. :(

In this world there are 10 types of people those that understand binary and the ones don't.

Offline Exit2008

• March 2011
  • 41 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Exit2008 has no influence.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2013, 08:06 am »
In my opinion, there is only one way godus would end up any better than those browser godgames. If they where t pick up he model minecraft used namely selling a playable game as they develop it, godus might just make it. Still i think a number of people beyond that have to screw up, for the game to end like from dust. which i forced my way trough in whirling pain.
In the end any god game is a good change, even if its simple.  :cool:

Offline Gremxula

• March 2003
  • 2,047 Posts

« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2013, 05:35 pm »
I have to admit I never  had the will to finish From Dust, but I had to try it as it was billed as a "spiritual" successor to Populous.

Offline WhatsHisFace

• April 2016
  • 1 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • WhatsHisFace has no influence.
« Reply #6 on: Apr 10, 2016, 04:21 pm »
After the debacles over "Godus," my lack of enthusiasm has prevented me from getting around to playing it.

However, I can speak on "From Dust," which I enjoyed every minute of.

While it was not truly a "god game" proper, the title did have a lot of elements that scratched the old god game itch. Being in full control over the landscape and seeing the engine process and render these complex effects in real time was a true sight to behold. I picked this game up because of it's visual similarities to "Black and White," and if there ever were to be a third one (or an ambitious spiritual successor), I believe taking some points from "From Dust" could really make it the most complete god game out there.