Author Topic: Fate of God game genre depends on success of Godus, Molyneux says  (Read 2877 times)

Offline something_or.other

• June 2011
  • 156 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • something_or.other is working their way up.something_or.other is working their way up.something_or.other is working their way up.
Molyneux believes that the God game genre doesn't translate well to consoles. He also believes that games like FarmVille, CityVille, and Clash of Clans, though they've been labelled "God games," really aren't.

Molyneux claims that Godus will do things unlike any game has done before. He said: "There is nothing like Godus that I have ever played before. It's not like any game that has existed before," and that the game will offer "ultimate freedom."

There's also a video interview with Molyneux in the story.

[source]

Offline fenton_pat

• Administrator
  • March 2003
  • 3,366 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 37
  • fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!
  • Insane Irishman

In a way, I admire Peter for keeping such a persistently optimistic outlook on all his projects to the point that they cannot possibly deliver on the expectations he's set for them.

A positive outlook on life is thing to be treasured.

While it is true for all games, it is especially the case where with games by Molyneux that until you hold the finished game in your hands, you really don't know what you're going to get.  Peter's promises have to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Although I will agree that God games aren't what they used to be.
Demon chicken tamer extraordinaire :D !

Offline Gremxula

• March 2003
  • 2,047 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!

While the "God Game" has been very neglected  of late , especially in the PMx style game.

For me there was not  a lot of difference in the basic game play between several games , 3 of my favorite  more recent games and the way I played them.
B&W2...Rings of influence for each building ...........side order of  creature and  platoons.
Imperium Romanum/GAR.......... Similar influence circles and troops No creature.
Caesar series much the same only the length of road determined the area of influence for particular units.

I did  promise to stick to 3 so this is a special when I look at Populous 3   and Godus  I really do  think   are you thinking this is never to be a 2014 BLOCKBUSTER game .
In this world there are 10 types of people those that understand binary and the ones don't.

Offline FunniestMonkey

• November 2013
  • 61 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • FunniestMonkey barely matters.FunniestMonkey barely matters.
  • awsome
Admittedly if you see how well BW2 fell 'out of sight' over the years, the chance for Godus to revive the 'God Game', in my opinion, are quite slim and ridiculous  :no

Even if Peter does head toward a new style, I still think the 'market' is far too obsessed with crap like Call of Duty and whatever else people enjoy but don't prove to be fun or challenging. So in general, what he thinks will be a success, will probably end up being just as it is currently in places like Steam -- overhyped and only briefly entertaining.

Offline Gremxula

• March 2003
  • 2,047 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!

The well done GOD GAME still has followers  The pre B&W1..... Populous The Beginning (pop3) still has a web site and active followers.

When I look at Godus as a new game for 2014 then look back at Pop3 a 1999 game everything seems to have gone backwards.

Sorry if I got it wrong but It seems to me  like Godus is a mobile phone APP that is funded  partially or even mostly by PC investors.

PMx has screwed his hard core fans again.
In this world there are 10 types of people those that understand binary and the ones don't.

Offline fenton_pat

• Administrator
  • March 2003
  • 3,366 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 37
  • fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!
  • Insane Irishman

PMx has screwed his hard core fans again.

We all have our strengths and weaknesses.  PM's just managed to combine hist into one neat ability :p .
Demon chicken tamer extraordinaire :D !