Author Topic: Godus released for iOS devices  (Read 6594 times)

Offline something_or.other

• June 2011
  • 157 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • something_or.other is working their way up.something_or.other is working their way up.something_or.other is working their way up.
Godus released for iOS devices
« on: Aug 11, 2014, 06:25 am »
A few days back, Godus launched on the Apple app store.

Unfortunately, it seems to be laden with IAP despite Molyneux's distaste for them.

Has anyone tried it? My old iPod Touch can't run iOS 7, so I'm unable to try it. How does it compare to the PC version? Is it any good?

Offline SkelApe

• November 2007
  • 817 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • SkelApe is awe-inspiring!SkelApe is awe-inspiring!SkelApe is awe-inspiring!SkelApe is awe-inspiring!SkelApe is awe-inspiring!SkelApe is awe-inspiring!SkelApe is awe-inspiring!SkelApe is awe-inspiring!SkelApe is awe-inspiring!SkelApe is awe-inspiring!SkelApe is awe-inspiring!SkelApe is awe-inspiring!
  • Tibetan landscape coming soon!

Re: Godus released for iOS devices
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11, 2014, 08:26 am »
I've tried it, and it isn't all too interesting. It's just like the PC version, but it's difficult to select followers or sculpt land carefully because of my small phone screen. The game really doesn't look different from when it was first released nearly a year ago. (I think?) I wouldn't feel too eager to get it, since it really doesn't offer anything new or exciting.

Offline fenton_pat

• Administrator
  • March 2003
  • 3,368 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 37
  • fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!
  • Insane Irishman

« Reply #2 on: Aug 11, 2014, 09:44 am »
In my innocence, I thought this was a wider release of the entire game on all platforms - FOR FREE!!  One quick check on steam rid me of that impression. Ah well.

Still - free is free, so I downloaded the iOS version to my iPhone and have been trying it out over the weekend.  This is my first ever hands-on experience with Godus.

I agree with SkelApe in that precision sculpting is next to impossible.  Given the fixed camera angle, I often find myself stretching out a layer of land as opposed to sculpting it back.  Aiming things like the rain clouds onto farms is also frustratingly imprecise :banghead :cmad

Still, I'm enjoying having the power to alter the land to suit my own needs (albeit in short bursts when I have enough belief).

With that said,  I haven't felt too forced to purchase anything yet.  And while in some ways, it could been thrown in with the likes of "The Simpsons: Tapped Out" or "Family Guy: Quest for stuff", I'm seeing now that it's an altogether different and slower-cooking beast that has some of that charm of Peter Molyneux's earlier other God games.

The Askari are slightly annoying but funny too.  I've sculpted a deep gorge where they typically show up and it's always a laugh seeing how they go cliffhanger in trying to escape me :grin2 .

Gathering belief can be a bit of a chore for now.  Alhough I do find the waltz music that plays when I chain collections together acts as something of a compensation.  Does anyone know do you get extra belief if you can make it to the end of the tune?

As for the look, despite it's simplistic nature, I'm finding it kinda charming.  Given that pretty much the entire land is sculpt-able, it immediately is winning out over some other tap and collect games I mentioned above given the freedom it offers.  However, because of this sculpting, I have to get used to this two-finger navigation system to avoid accidentally sculpting land.  It's not perfect as sometimes I still wind up sculpting and I'm doing it so much now that I'm finding myself doing it in other games also :upside.

I realise there's still much more to discover and that when I need to find more stickers, it may get more frustrating without buying something, but I'm willing to give it time.

I'm also curious to see what PC gamers think (I'm not willing to part with 20 Euros on Steam to find out just yet).  From a smartphone perspective, this game competes well enough with it's counterparts.  However, I think this current model would fail to light up a PC gamers eyes.

One final black mark on this game is that it doesn't seem to support playing the same instance across multiple devices yet.  I started playing this on my iPhone and looked forward to doing some more precision actions on my iPad only to find out it started up a new instance even though it recognised my same Game Center login.  Shame that.

What do the rest of you think?
Demon chicken tamer extraordinaire :D !

Offline Gremxula

• March 2003
  • 2,047 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!

« Reply #3 on: Aug 17, 2014, 09:02 pm »
As a PC only games player the game play is deeply flawed. I just don't see a reason to give up modern games like Skyrim or any of the ES series, Dragon Age,Witcher , Risen and many more.
The Graphic are said to be in HD and they may well be but at the end of the day  the whole thing looks about 20y old I didn't spend on a graphic card to play the latest games and the play Godus.

I do play legacy games like C3/4 POP3 Pop3 B&W 1+2 and Expansions on occasions but then but Godus seems like another  extra 10+y back.
It seems to me that P Mx is trying to do in this game that what already  has been done better  in his old games.
In this world there are 10 types of people those that understand binary and the ones don't.

Offline fenton_pat

• Administrator
  • March 2003
  • 3,368 Posts
  • fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!
  • Insane Irishman

« Reply #4 on: Aug 18, 2014, 09:23 am »
I find the graphics quite charming actually.  Keep in mind that there are other examples of modern games not putting an emphasis on graphics, e.g. Minecraft.  There are also plenty of games that go for the cartoony as opposed to anything realistic looking.

In any case, I've always been of the belief that it should be gameplay first, graphics second. 

With all that said, from my experiences playing this on iOS, I am of the firm belief that this game just isn't a PC game.  Nor would I pay to try it there :( .  The whole tap-and-collect mechanic along with having to wait hours for tasks to complete puts it right at home with it's other mobile free-to-play brethren and nowhere else.

That's not to say it isn't rewarding.  It's just not what I hold up to be PC gaming.

One other thing that is a complete change of pace (given their time limits) are the Voyages.  More and more, these feel like the 22 Cans version of Lemmings :p !  while they are an interesting change of pace, I am finding it frustrating that on some of the more difficult lands, I get one or two tries before I have to wait about 8 hours for reinforcements :cmad.

• June 2011
  • 157 Posts
  • something_or.other is working their way up.something_or.other is working their way up.something_or.other is working their way up.
« Reply #5 on: Aug 22, 2014, 06:45 am »
Agreed, there are many good games released recently that have simpler graphics than today's AAA games (Hotline Miami, Shovel Knight, among others).

I've not tried the PC version, so this is just conjecture, but I assume the game would be pretty different. I doubt that you'd be forced to wait like in a mobile game when you've spent $20 to play a full game. I feel like the PC version wouldn't have the standard free-to-play wait periods and such.

Offline fenton_pat

• Administrator
  • March 2003
  • 3,368 Posts
  • Insane Irishman

« Reply #6 on: Aug 22, 2014, 09:28 am »
Took me a minute to find it again, but I came across this recent interview with PM trying to justify the wait times given how he's been quoted giving out about that very thing.  Although it's not 100% clear whether he's talking just about the iOS version or if he's including PC as well.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Godus/feature.asp?c=61069

I'm kinda curious about the PC version, just not 20 curious :p .  Can anyone enlighten us about playing this on PC?

Offline Gremxula

• March 2003
  • 2,047 Posts
  • Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!

« Reply #7 on: Aug 26, 2014, 12:28 am »
Fp have a look at this official demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPkk7uToRIk

Yes I know that the video is from last year but it is what you get if  you Google for "Godus PC gameplay". If 22cans or who ever promotes the game  can't be bothered to do a new video showing the improvements that have been made and leave this up for prospective  purchasers then so be it. I have this or similar version  correction HAD as I have now deleted the game.

In my opinion the game could have been a lot more organic none of the card nonsense land comes in slices ?

In 1998 Populous 3 came out free legitimate demo versions are still easy to  find  as are 1000's of videos.
The full game is available  to buy or free depends on your morality. If you decide to buy from GOG @ 2.49 your money could be wasted.
For all new windows (Vista, 7, 8 and any 64 bit) only use software mode.

In this world there are 10 types of people those that understand binary and the ones don't.

Offline fenton_pat

• Administrator
  • March 2003
  • 3,368 Posts
  • Insane Irishman

« Reply #8 on: Sep 02, 2014, 01:01 pm »
Well I've played this for a while now and truthfully, I'm getting annoyed :( .

• Some chests are buried under the lowest sea level and so are unattainable.
  • The next beacon I have to build was almost completely buried.  By the time I fully uncovered it, it was one layer below land and my builders cannot reach it.  Apparently a good few other people are suffering the same fate with no fix in sight.
  • Right next to said beacon is the Astairi village (which I believe was put into the iOS game).  I've gotton so close to the village now, they've basically joined me.  However:
    • I'm still getting daily notifications of an Astairi party which could take followers away from me if the Astairi wind up happier than my lot.  That has happened in the past, but since they joined me, this notification has become pointless.
    • I cannot build in the village. Best I can do is merge their settlement with new houses I build outside their village.
    • I cannot sculpt the land around/on the village.
    • This leads to some villagers getting stuck trying to get to nearby farms & buildings thereby lowering the overall happiness.  My only options are to either kill said villagers or keep manually navigating them out of the same place they get stuck in each time :banghead
  • Periodically (about once a week), some coastal areas reorganise themselves.  This appears to be a badly-implemented attempt to introduce new hidden sticker chests into land I've already explored, but:
    • It has the knock on effect of removing houses nearby leaving their inhabitants homeless and unhappy.
    • Homeless villagers lower the overall unhappiness and are hard to spot unless you catch one of those frowny smilies rising up from them.
    • Trying to re-home homeless villagers is also hit and miss.  I first have to bring them to a new house under construction so that they'll enter it on completion (as opposed to the house generating new villagers). But sometimes they wander off and won't be at the house when it'd done.

Seems like this game is forcing me to be Evil to my villagers.  Either I struggle to house them properly away from sensitive regeneration spots, leave them homeless or just out-and-out kill them :shocked !

Haven't had the time to look at that YouTube vid, but are there any more recent reviews out of the PC version?
« Last Edit: Sep 03, 2014, 10:06 am by fenton_pat »

• June 2011
  • 157 Posts
« Reply #9 on: Sep 03, 2014, 03:57 am »
I haven't seen any new reviews or anything but I did see this on the Steam page:

"Our development proceeds through sprints that may have differing platform focuses. As such, much of the gameplay available to you in v2.2 is the result of a recent mobile-focused sprint and we intend to progress to a PC-focused sprint within the coming months. Please take this into consideration, as while adjustments will continue to be made to the PC platform to account for the game's differing payment model (buy-to-play on PC & free-to-play on mobile), some areas of balance and design may retain certain elements of the mobile version for the time being."

Version 2.2 appears to be the latest PC release. I find it weird that they're forcing the F2P stuff into the PC version, albeit temporarily.

Offline fenton_pat

• Administrator
  • March 2003
  • 3,368 Posts
  • Insane Irishman

« Reply #10 on: Sep 19, 2014, 11:16 am »
The game has lost a fair bit of it's charm owing to how I'm getting stopped from making any more progress.

• I can't repair the next beacon (as previously mentioned)
  • Two shrines I've dug out can't be repaired even after my miners have mined away the gems blocking my builders

But the real hum-dinger now is how my iOS update has broken the game.  I'm not 100% sure it's iOS's fault either as I hadn't really played the game for a few days beforehand.

However, when I launched the game post-update, it basically started me over with a few quirks:
  • The two followers I start out with were drowning (just as before) and I could save them.  But the tutorial didn't kick in, so they wouldn't walk along the path to the main land to where they could build houses.  I had to slowly erode land behind them to force them to go in the right direction (didn't have enough belief to leash them)
  • My cards are all messed up too:
    • Alot of the cards I've unlocked are still unlocked (YAY)
    • I have a lot of stickers to use up (YAY)
    • Other cards that should be unlocked are at some value less than 100% and even though the game registers when I add stickers, my sticker count doesn't go down and the progress bar doesn't go up (BOO)
    • Other cards that should be unlocked are at some value greater than 100%.  These cards have their progress bars going way off screen to the right! (WHAT THE FOOK?!?)

I've decided to give it a go at rebuilding anyway, to see if I can get past my previous stuck points.  But the game is circling the drain at this point :( .  The one thing I am enjoying pretty unreservedly are the voyages as they remind me so much of Lemmings.

However, I'm already beginning to see some lands getting recycled in this regard which is beginning to suck the joy out of it :cry .

Offline Gremxula

• March 2003
  • 2,047 Posts

« Reply #11 on: Sep 30, 2014, 11:14 pm »
Hey FP think of how  PC users feel having put in most of the  Kickstarter money  then get sidelined  to make this app.

At this moment  I feel so angry at the way I have been ripped off with my money used to fund a "mobile sprint"  that any future  versions that may become available  will be deleted  without any  testing.

Sorry but the game just looks like a mobile app and  is aimed that way using  PC money. If the game was pitched  as what it now is, it would  never  have raised  the  funding.
Call it  what you want  but  to my mind Deception , Fraud , Misrepresentation are just a few of the tricks   to part me and you  from our cash.
$ 20  investor or  $ 3.99  newbie it is all the same . We got your  money  so FU.
 Just  take what we give you .

Offline fenton_pat

• Administrator
  • March 2003
  • 3,368 Posts
  • Insane Irishman

« Reply #12 on: Oct 05, 2014, 04:53 pm »
Well while the final product is disappointing to say the least, I wouldn't say it's as straight forward as that.

To be fair, they did say they'd be making mobile versions in the kickstarter campaign.  They just didn't go into the details of that nor did anybody ask.

At the end of the day, investing in a kickstarter campaign is like any other kind of investment - you might not get the returns you were expecting.  It's a pain, but that's reality.

In any case, my iOS game is still pretty messed up.  I can play it, but the bugs I mentioned above are still there along with a few new things I've spotted:
  • None of the Astairi village buildings are there either.
  • The happiness meter never came back (not such a bad thing).
  • The Shrine to increase capacity remains unavailable no matter what I do.
  • Any chests I open with gems in them are not added to my score.

I'm not really playing the game much any more.  Only if I'm bored.  There's just too much stuff wrong with it at this stage.  Had I actually spent money in this game, I'd be properly ticked off at right now!  

So the PC gamers do indeed have my sympathy all the same :( .

Edit:  Hindsight's a wonderful thing, but knowing what we know now, this seems apt...

http://www.dorkly.com/post/66182/how-to-run-a-successful-videogame-kickstarter
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2014, 03:49 pm by fenton_pat »

Offline Gremxula

• March 2003
  • 2,047 Posts

« Reply #13 on: Oct 17, 2014, 11:07 pm »
Agreed :(