Author Topic: Welcome to BWFiles  (Read 4667 times)

Offline Handsome Matt

• August 2005
  • 252 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!

• My Portfolio
Welcome to BWFiles
« on: Dec 13, 2015, 12:02 am »
Kays' Place is no more; unfortunately the website that was home to Black and White has fallen into an irreparable state, so BWFiles has been made to salvage what was left, over the past few years I've salvaged and patched what I could from Kays' Place to bring you this.

All the file downloads from Kays' Place are here and can be accessed from the files part of the main menu - the downloads system is currently in read-only mode as I've had to hastily put this site together from the broken pieces of old Kays' Place data and code, hopefully I can enable the system to accept file uploads again in the near future, but for the time being you can only download files.

All users, threads and posts have also been salvaged from Kays' Place, so if you previously had an account there, you will be able to log in here with the same details.

As the Black and White franchise ages, it gets harder and harder to keep it running on our modern systems, here are a couple of threads that will let you play the games to their true potential on modern systems:

* Running Black and White on Windows 7/8/10
* Running Black and White 2 (and BotG) on Windows 7/8/10

Once again, this site has been put together hastily, not everything will work as intended right away, please reply to this thread if you see something that isn't quite working right and I'll fix it asap.
« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2016, 06:23 pm by Handsome Matt »

Offline Padster

• December 2015
  • 37 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Padster has no influence.
Re: Welcome to BWFiles
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2015, 04:35 pm »
The Fan Patch Fix for the Black & White tutorial you posted is false, you posted the BW2 Fix. Other than that, thank you for storing all the files that were previously on Kayssplace and everything else you did!

Offline Handsome Matt

• August 2005
  • 252 Posts
  • Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!

• My Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2015, 05:56 pm »
The Fan Patch Fix for the Black & White tutorial you posted is false, you posted the BW2 Fix. Other than that, thank you for storing all the files that were previously on Kayssplace and everything else you did!

oops, fixed that thanks ^_^

Offline Blinkin

• November 2014
  • 19 Posts
  • Blinkin has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2015, 09:37 pm »
It's the first time I see a site disappear like this without everything being lost. Bravo for you! Great to see you already made preparations, I love this site.

Offline ceruleansilverwolf

• December 2015
  • 1 Posts
  • ceruleansilverwolf has no influence.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2015, 08:23 am »
Thanks for keeping most of this up! I was just playing the other day (literally a week ago) and I downloaded a few things off of kays's place. It'd be a real shame if all those files got lost.

Offline kayssplace-mirror

• December 2015
  • 3 Posts
  • kayssplace-mirror has no influence.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2015, 02:51 pm »
Does anyone on the admin team have SSH / SFTP access to the Kayssplace server?

I'm a web developer and wouldn't mind taking a copy of the site and database + trying to get it up and running again.
Would be a shame to see the site go...  :upside

• December 2015
  • 3 Posts
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2015, 03:07 pm »
Excellent work getting this site up tho... just in time :)

Offline Handsome Matt

• August 2005
  • 252 Posts

• My Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2015, 03:13 pm »
Does anyone on the admin team have SSH / SFTP access to the Kayssplace server?

I'm a web developer and wouldn't mind taking a copy of the site and database + trying to get it up and running again.
Would be a shame to see the site go...  :upside

I have FTP access and did have database access but those went offline last week so this site uses a file database dump of a few months and a forum database dump from a couple of weeks ago.

• December 2015
  • 3 Posts
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2015, 03:18 pm »
Cool - just sent you a PM there :)

Offline something_or.other

• June 2011
  • 157 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • something_or.other is working their way up.something_or.other is working their way up.something_or.other is working their way up.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2015, 09:30 pm »
Glad to see the site was saved in some form. :upside

Offline Gremxula

• March 2003
  • 2,047 Posts
  • Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!

« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2015, 06:12 pm »
I used to view the old site about once or twice a week and will continue here.
In this world there are 10 types of people those that understand binary and the ones don't.

Offline fenton_pat

• Administrator
  • March 2003
  • 3,368 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 37
  • fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!
  • Insane Irishman

« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2016, 05:00 pm »
Likewise.  I had admin rights on the forums and even once had FTP access to the backend many years ago.

But thankfully, Matt got a hold of most of the data before the site collapsed.  Like Grem, I still check in on the forums on a regular basis, so it's nice to see this still going :) .
Demon chicken tamer extraordinaire :D !

Offline Prioninyourhead

• November 2015
  • 3 Posts
  • Prioninyourhead has no influence.
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2016, 02:47 pm »
You cant even acces all the files... ( i know i cant ) I mean that they are just not showing there....

Offline Handsome Matt

• August 2005
  • 252 Posts

• My Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2016, 06:56 pm »
You cant even acces all the files... ( i know i cant ) I mean that they are just not showing there....

Which files do you mean? I'll look into it.

Offline Gremxula

• March 2003
  • 2,047 Posts
  • Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!Gremxula is awe-inspiring!

« Reply #14 on: Mar 16, 2016, 02:21 pm »
Just a heads up ..... Virgin Media  is closing it's free webspace so any files that I have linked to but not uploaded will stop working soon.

In this world there are 10 types of people those that understand binary and the ones don't.