Author Topic: BW2 (and BotG) on Windows 7/8/10  (Read 31632 times)

Offline Handsome Matt

• August 2005
  • 209 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 20
  • Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!

• My Portfolio
BW2 (and BotG) on Windows 7/8/10
« on: Dec 13, 2015, 12:11 pm »
For the most part Black and White 2 runs pretty well on modern systems - unfortunately if you have newer graphics cards the game sets the graphics options to ultra low, my fan patch should fix that. Install the game and then install the following patches in order and your game should run flawlessly.

Patches:
v1.1: http://www.bwfiles.com/files/file.php?id=587
v1.2: http://www.bwfiles.com/files/file.php?id=695
v1.3 Fan Patch: http://www.bwfiles.com/files/file.php?id=1421

BotG Fan Patch: http://www.bwfiles.com/files/file.php?id=1422

If you continue to have issues after this you can try the following steps:
1. Run the game.
2. Run the Task manager ( ctrl+alt+delete) [if it wont switch you to Task manager use alt+tab to select it]
3. Under the Procceses tab find your game procces, as default it should be white.exe
4. Right click it then choose Set affinity
5. Uncheck all the boxes except one with CPU (I did mine with CPU 0)
6. Confirm with Ok, go back to your game.
7. Problem fix'd.

If that still doesn't fix it, don't be afraid to ask for help. Have fun playing Black and White 2 :)

Running on Mac?

The Mac version was released recently on the Mac App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/black-white-2/id437519881?mt=12 it's recommended you use this version.

Although recent reviews suggest it's broken on newer MacOS versions, so don't waste your money.
« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2016, 06:27 pm by Handsome Matt »

Offline mrfischer15

• December 2015
  • 1 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • mrfischer15 has no influence.
Re: BW2 on Windows 7/8/10
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2015, 01:11 pm »
I still can't open the game. It still says it has a problem with white.exe. And when I try to install your Fan Patch it has an error to replace white.exe.

What can I do?

Offline Handsome Matt

• August 2005
  • 209 Posts
  • Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!

• My Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2015, 11:19 pm »
I still can't open the game. It still says it has a problem with white.exe. And when I try to install your Fan Patch it has an error to replace white.exe.

What can I do?

What are you system specs? What does it say the problem is? And what is the error when you try to replace?

Offline Imaginary Llamas

• January 2016
  • 2 Posts
  • Imaginary Llamas has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2016, 03:46 pm »
The fan patch allows me to actually play the game (thanks for that!), but the graphics still seem very poor. The textures and shadow resolution are very low detail. The graphics options are maxed out and I modified the graphics.config file, but that hasn't fixed the issue. Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline Handsome Matt

• August 2005
  • 209 Posts

• My Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2016, 11:42 pm »
The fan patch allows me to actually play the game (thanks for that!), but the graphics still seem very poor. The textures and shadow resolution are very low detail. The graphics options are maxed out and I modified the graphics.config file, but that hasn't fixed the issue. Any help would be much appreciated.

I'll look into the patch again when I have some free time (patching assembly is tough!) - but the patch already includes several patches for the graphics, could you take some screenshots if possible?

Offline Imaginary Llamas

• January 2016
  • 2 Posts
  • Imaginary Llamas has no influence.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2016, 03:25 pm »
Sure, here're a couple of screenshots. You can see the low level of detail on the buildings and rocks.

Offline adame1996

• January 2016
  • 2 Posts
  • adame1996 has no influence.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2016, 05:35 pm »
What is this ? Why does it matter how graphic this setting?

Offline Handsome Matt

• August 2005
  • 209 Posts

• My Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2016, 04:52 am »

Does this occur with the fan patch installed or not?

Offline adame1996

• January 2016
  • 2 Posts
  • adame1996 has no influence.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2016, 01:52 pm »
Does this occur with the fan patch installed or not?
Yes, I installed the fan patch.
Without the patch is doing it.

Offline af88

• February 2016
  • 1 Posts
  • af88 has no influence.
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2016, 05:07 pm »
Ok I'm really bad with computers! I've been trying to get Black & White 2 to work for days now. I downloaded the 2 patches and the fan patch for the exe but I'm guessing I'm not doing that right. So can someone coach me through the exe part please? Am I supposed to replace the one in the files and how?

Offline Handsome Matt

• August 2005
  • 209 Posts

• My Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2016, 03:24 pm »
Ok I'm really bad with computers! I've been trying to get Black & White 2 to work for days now. I downloaded the 2 patches and the fan patch for the exe but I'm guessing I'm not doing that right. So can someone coach me through the exe part please? Am I supposed to replace the one in the files and how?

Yeah, install the two patches, then drag the patch over to replace it.

Offline kierooon

• February 2016
  • 1 Posts
  • kierooon has no influence.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2016, 06:30 pm »
Guys ive been trying to work this for 2 days i need some help

Keep getting the need administrator permission

Offline Handsome Matt

• August 2005
  • 209 Posts

• My Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2016, 07:32 pm »
Guys ive been trying to work this for 2 days i need some help

Keep getting the need administrator permission

You need administrator permission.

Offline JackHarrison

• March 2016
  • 2 Posts
  • JackHarrison has no influence.
« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 2016, 10:59 pm »
Hey I have just installed all of the patches including the fan path but I still get gaps of missing land and the main menu screen seems to flicker. Another graphical glitch is that my creatures have no hair. I really want to be able to play this without the glitches, thank you for you help with the current patch as im not able to run the game without it

Offline JackHarrison

• March 2016
  • 2 Posts
  • JackHarrison has no influence.
« Reply #14 on: Mar 08, 2016, 11:59 pm »
I got it working! The fix ended up being switching out my current 7800 graphics card to my older 4800, no more gaps in the land! it was lucky I saved that card!

Offline kxSven

• March 2016
  • 1 Posts
  • kxSven has no influence.
« Reply #15 on: Mar 12, 2016, 10:22 pm »
For the most part Black and White 2 runs pretty well on modern systems - unfortunately if you have newer graphics cards the game sets the graphics options to ultra low, my fan patch should fix that. Install the game and then install the following patches in order and your game should run flawlessly.

Patches:
Fan Patch: http://www.bwfiles.com/downloads/files/bw2_fan_patch.zip (unzip to the game directory overwriting white.exe)

If that still doesn't fix it, don't be afraid to ask for help. Have fun playing Black and White 2 :)

Hi! I have a problem with game. She is crash at random time. I also use windows 10 and new amd driver. Game is patched to 1.2 and i use your patch too.  Almost forgot, your advice with zero processor priority is not help to solve my problem.
I hope that someone will help me.

By the way, if you have blurred picture, you need to disable antialiasing and that is all.

Offline Blacklight

• April 2016
  • 1 Posts
  • Blacklight has no influence.
« Reply #16 on: Apr 04, 2016, 12:56 pm »
I seem to be getting crashes upon clicking Continue with the fan patch installed. Loading a game I saved manually works just fine though.

Edit: Well, never mind. Seemed to be a corrupted quick save. Starting a new game fixed it.
« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2016, 12:25 am by Blacklight »

Offline kyledere

• July 2016
  • 1 Posts
  • kyledere has no influence.
« Reply #17 on: Jul 18, 2016, 02:36 pm »
Hey guys, so I got Black & White 2: BOTG, But it won't start up, just wondering if there is a fix to BOTG too

Offline theboom1

• July 2016
  • 1 Posts
  • theboom1 has no influence.
« Reply #18 on: Jul 24, 2016, 06:36 pm »

Patches:
Fan Patch: http://www.bwfiles.com/downloads/files/bw2_fan_patch.zip (unzip to the game directory overwriting white.exe)

Running on Mac?

The Mac version was released recently on the Mac App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/black-white-2/id437519881?mt=12 it's recommended you use this version.

i tried these patches in the latest windows 10 nvidia 940m it does work.

Offline Yuna

• July 2016
  • 1 Posts
  • Yuna has no influence.
« Reply #19 on: Jul 25, 2016, 03:05 am »

Patches:

Running on Mac?

So I installed the first two patches and dont know where to put the fan patch, not only that, but I go into the task manager and White.exe doesnt even show. I have tried everything and I cannot get the game to get past the main menu, I press play and the menu disappears and thats it. What am I missing?

***UPDATE** Fixed it. I don't know if the other things I installed before this thread helped but I extracted the fan patch to the files x86 and went to lionhead studios- Black and white 2 and told it to extract and replace. I launched the application and it worked! I have been trying for days to get this to work so I am so thankful for this thread!!
« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2016, 05:08 am by Yuna »

Offline Apocalyptoid

• August 2016
  • 2 Posts
  • Apocalyptoid has no influence.
« Reply #20 on: Aug 02, 2016, 09:45 am »

I keep having this problem and I don't know how to fix it, I've patched and fan patched. What do I do?
I'm running the game on Windows 10

Ta Apoc xoxo

Offline Rodi_craft

• August 2016
  • 1 Posts
  • Rodi_craft has no influence.
« Reply #21 on: Aug 29, 2016, 12:44 pm »
Hi
I'm struggling with launching the game. I ran the updates and copied over the patch, but in the end i get the game to launch then it switches back to my desktop. The game is running in the background and i can hear the music, it also appears in my task bar ad task manager, but no matter how many times i click on it it just takes me t a black screen an then back to my desktop. Please help.

P.s. I don't think the patch is the problem because yours isn't the first patch i tried.

Offline Surina

• October 2016
  • 1 Posts
  • Surina has no influence.
« Reply #22 on: Oct 17, 2016, 03:51 am »
Hi guys!

Just thought I'd give a lil helping hand - sorry if this isn't the right place to do it - yesterday I probably spent a good 5 hours uninstalling and reinstalling B & W 2 desperately trying to get both the game and trainer to work on Win10, so I thought I'd share my fix on the page Google constantly redirected me back to; maybe I'll save other people some time!

If you have the Black and White 2 Trainer v1.2.0.1 by LqdGroover, you'll most likely be getting 'White is in memory - Not Connected' in the top right.
To get it working with your game, all you need to do is right-click BW2v12_Trn_v1201.exe (or whichever version you're using) -> Properties > Compatability -> Tick 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:' -> Windows XP (Service Pack 2).
I haven't tried with other compatibility modes, but this is the one which got my Trainer Connected.

Good luck!

Offline AKANexus

• November 2016
  • 1 Posts
  • AKANexus has no influence.
« Reply #23 on: Nov 15, 2016, 05:22 am »
Erm... I'm REALLY sorry for creating an account JUST to post one question, but please, throw me a bone here: Is there a fan patch for the BotG expansion as well?

Offline Kirays

• March 2016
  • 29 Posts
  • Kirays has no influence.
« Reply #24 on: Nov 25, 2016, 07:00 pm »
Hello.

After finding out that a Black & White YouTuber is creating content again I felt the urge to build some cities myself.

Unfortunately I'm experiencing stuttery and unresponsive vertical mouse movement.
I'm using Windows 10 with a Logitech G402 mouse.

Any ideas are appreciated.

EDIT: It appears like the game isn't comfortable with a high polling rate of your mouse.
Lowering it as much as possible helps a lot. :)

Erm... I'm REALLY sorry for creating an account JUST to post one question, but please, throw me a bone here: Is there a fan patch for the BotG expansion as well?

Handsome Matt hasn't created a patch for the expansion yet but there are a few no CD patches on the internet.
I'm not sure if they are illegal but it worked flawlessly for me the last time I tried.
« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2016, 09:31 pm by Kirays »

Offline steven.byrd2

• November 2016
  • 2 Posts
  • steven.byrd2 has no influence.
« Reply #25 on: Nov 28, 2016, 07:12 am »
so I downloaded all the patches, 1.1 1.2 and the fan deal, and when I try to download the 1.1 it says that I don't have black and white 2 downloaded on my computer, it is, legally, dled by disk. I'm on windows 10.

Offline Kirays

• March 2016
  • 29 Posts
  • Kirays has no influence.
« Reply #26 on: Nov 28, 2016, 08:30 am »
Place both 1.1 and 1.2 patches in the main Black & White folder.
You know it's the right place when you find the executable named white. :)

Offline steven.byrd2

• November 2016
  • 2 Posts
  • steven.byrd2 has no influence.
« Reply #27 on: Nov 29, 2016, 06:39 am »
ok I put it in there and tried to open it but it acts like its gonna load, asks me if it can have permission to change settings on my computer, I click accept then it does nothing....
 :help :help :help :help :help :help :help :help

Offline Handsome Matt

• August 2005
  • 209 Posts

• My Portfolio
« Reply #28 on: Nov 30, 2016, 04:52 pm »
ok I put it in there and tried to open it but it acts like its gonna load, asks me if it can have permission to change settings on my computer, I click accept then it does nothing....
 :help :help :help :help :help :help :help :help

you need the fan patch to even launch the game, make sure you copy it over white.exe

Offline CosmoClock21

• March 2014
  • 9 Posts
  • CosmoClock21 has no influence.
« Reply #29 on: Dec 20, 2016, 04:23 am »
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm getting a bug in BotG whenever I try to cast an Epic Miracle. Basically the camera goes ballistic and the sound file of the miracle plays, but nothing actually happens. Well, almost nothing. There's a small miracle marker where I cast the thing.

I found somebody else with the same issue, but it remains unresolved.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/pc-mac-linux-society-1000004/black-amp-white-2-battle-of-the-gods-siren-issue-26815962/

Everything is patched and up to date (playing BotG)

EDIT:
Well, I thought the patch fixed it, but now the problem persists. I think it has something to do with the transitioning cutscenes (where you see your villagers surrounding the wonder right after you cast it). Sometimes it happens and the epic miracle cast fully and sometimes the camera just goes crazy and the epic miracle isn't cast.

Also, this is a tad off topic, but Alignment seems to be stuck.
« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2016, 09:00 pm by CosmoClock21 »

Offline outdoorgirl

• December 2016
  • 3 Posts
  • outdoorgirl has no influence.
Re: BW2 (and BotG) on Windows 7/8/10
« Reply #30 on: Dec 22, 2016, 04:42 am »
I thank you for the Fan patch but am having the program crash all the time.  I have installed it on two computers and the same issue happens.  After a while of playing the game crashes, and sometimes the most recent save game will be corrupt.   The game is great to play, but this is driving me batty.  Please help.

Offline Handsome Matt

• August 2005
  • 209 Posts

• My Portfolio
« Reply #31 on: Dec 22, 2016, 11:43 am »
Need to know a little more to help you sorry, what are your computer specs and OS? Also are you running as administrator?

Offline outdoorgirl

• December 2016
  • 3 Posts
« Reply #32 on: Dec 27, 2016, 07:42 am »
Yes, running as Admin, and windows 10 with the core affinity on "0" and CPU priority set to high. I used the task manager to turn off all other processes and I am using compatibility of XP with service pack 2, but have tried XP with service pack 3 and windows 98/me.  My computer is a i5 750 with 4g ram and a Raedon 5870 with current drivers.

Offline rupez

• December 2016
  • 5 Posts
  • rupez has no influence.
« Reply #33 on: Dec 27, 2016, 03:32 pm »
Hi

Hope you can help?

I've used your patches to make my old copy of black and white 2 work and I loved the game so much again literally nearly got a divorce because of it that I had to go and buy a cd copy from amazon of the expansion pack Battle of the gods - i've now had this delivered but I can't find any patches or find anything online that will enable me to play it - at first it said run as admin - tried that but it just doesn't want to launch.

Are you looking to make a patch for BOTG? ( for windows 10 )

Many thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2016, 03:35 pm by rupez »

Offline Handsome Matt

• August 2005
  • 209 Posts

• My Portfolio
« Reply #34 on: Dec 27, 2016, 03:58 pm »
you can download the botg patch here: http://www.bwfiles.com/files/file.php?id=1422 hope it helps :)

Offline rupez

• December 2016
  • 5 Posts
« Reply #35 on: Dec 30, 2016, 02:33 pm »
you can download the botg patch here: http://www.bwfiles.com/files/file.php?id=1422 hope it helps :)

It works!.

Cant thank you enough thanks for the hard work :angel

Offline Handsome Matt

• August 2005
  • 209 Posts

• My Portfolio
« Reply #36 on: Dec 30, 2016, 04:20 pm »
It works!.

Cant thank you enough thanks for the hard work :angel

You're welcome, good to hear it works :)

Offline Fuci

• December 2016
  • 1 Posts
  • Fuci has no influence.
« Reply #37 on: Dec 30, 2016, 04:39 pm »
Hey guys.

Could use a little help. I'm running BW2 on Windows 10 and everytime I fix some problem a new one appears. Downloaded both patches + both fan patches (before that I couldn't run the game at all), I am running it in compatibility mode W95 (which stopped graphical bugs and flickering but also made audio a bit stuttery but I can survive that) but the game reguraly crashes with "Core application has stopped running" message. It always happens after pretty much the same time as before, and I don't really know what to do now. I am running as admin, tried changing CPU affinity (CPU 0, also tried all of them at the same time) and it still happens.

Any help is appreciated.

Offline Handsome Matt

• August 2005
  • 209 Posts

• My Portfolio
« Reply #38 on: Dec 30, 2016, 05:41 pm »
Shouldn't be running in any comparability mode at all. (It bugs a lot) Just administrator.

Offline rupez

• December 2016
  • 5 Posts
« Reply #39 on: Dec 30, 2016, 06:52 pm »
Hey. Sorry slightly offtopic been looking over the forums and noticed alot of mods and downloadable maps - are these simple to install and play on windows 10?

Offline Handsome Matt

• August 2005
  • 209 Posts

• My Portfolio
« Reply #40 on: Dec 30, 2016, 08:48 pm »
Yeah they should all run and work fine.

Offline outdoorgirl

• December 2016
  • 3 Posts
« Reply #41 on: Jan 01, 2017, 10:58 pm »
I have found that if I set the priority to high, when I am switching the affinity, that the missing blocks go away.  I just wish I could get it to stop crashing when I save.

Offline Smurfie

• February 2017
  • 1 Posts
  • Smurfie has no influence.
« Reply #42 on: Feb 13, 2017, 10:24 pm »
I installed the latest fan patch hoping that it would fix the issues i have. The game crashes  randomly when i'm in game or sometimes it doesn't even let me load the saved file. It just stops working and crashes. can anyone help me with this problem :(

Offline sevenstones

• February 2017
  • 2 Posts
  • sevenstones has no influence.
« Reply #43 on: Feb 19, 2017, 01:53 pm »
Hi, created an account to post this. I've been trying to get BW2 working for about 3 days now with no luck.

The error message I've been getting is "Could not create the 3D device" as soon as the game is launched.
Event viewer log :

Faulting application name: white.exe, version: 1.2.0.0, time stamp: 0x43e21f5f
Faulting module name: white.exe, version: 1.2.0.0, time stamp: 0x43e21f5f
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x001c5063
Faulting process ID: 0x219c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d28ab644b0fe7f
Faulting application path: C:\Games\BlackWhite2\white.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Games\BlackWhite2\white.exe
Report ID: 889a1a27-2f3e-4cc2-b044-19e34cb3501e
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
I have tried:
Two different (downloaded) versions of the game
Patches 1.1, 1.2, and fan patch 1.3
Three different fixed executables
Updating my graphics driver
Disabling unnecessary Human Interface Devices (It killed an old game of mine once so I always try it now)
Creating an XP virtual machine and using all of the above
Various compatibility modes + resolution settings + core affinity + priority + run as admin
Force-installing dx9

My system specs are:

OS   : Win10 Home edition 10.0.14393
CPU : Intel core i3-6100 @ 3.7GHz, 2 cores 4 logical
RAM: 8GB
GFX: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 (6GB)

Interestingly, I get exactly the same error in the virtual machine as well.. No idea how that works. I've ordered a physical copy (I had one but lost the disk before) to see if I can use that to fix it, but am hoping someone here can help me!

EDIT:

The EA debugging program that is available from the disk seems to think that I have no graphics ram, working to resolve this now.
« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2017, 05:34 pm by sevenstones »

Offline Handsome Matt

• August 2005
  • 209 Posts

• My Portfolio
« Reply #44 on: Mar 08, 2017, 04:04 pm »
Does anyone mind updating the PCGamingWiki: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Black_%26_White_2

I don't personally have time, but it'd be a great help for people trying to find information about Black & White 2.