Author Topic: BW2 (and BotG) on Windows 7/8/10  (Read 31633 times)

Offline outdoorgirl

• December 2016
  • 3 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • outdoorgirl has no influence.
Re: BW2 (and BotG) on Windows 7/8/10
« Reply #30 on: Dec 22, 2016, 04:42 am »
I thank you for the Fan patch but am having the program crash all the time.  I have installed it on two computers and the same issue happens.  After a while of playing the game crashes, and sometimes the most recent save game will be corrupt.   The game is great to play, but this is driving me batty.  Please help.

Offline Handsome Matt

• August 2005
  • 209 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 20
  • Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!

• My Portfolio
« Reply #31 on: Dec 22, 2016, 11:43 am »
Need to know a little more to help you sorry, what are your computer specs and OS? Also are you running as administrator?

Offline outdoorgirl

• December 2016
  • 3 Posts
« Reply #32 on: Dec 27, 2016, 07:42 am »
Yes, running as Admin, and windows 10 with the core affinity on "0" and CPU priority set to high. I used the task manager to turn off all other processes and I am using compatibility of XP with service pack 2, but have tried XP with service pack 3 and windows 98/me.  My computer is a i5 750 with 4g ram and a Raedon 5870 with current drivers.

Offline rupez

• December 2016
  • 5 Posts
  • rupez has no influence.
« Reply #33 on: Dec 27, 2016, 03:32 pm »
Hi

Hope you can help?

I've used your patches to make my old copy of black and white 2 work and I loved the game so much again literally nearly got a divorce because of it that I had to go and buy a cd copy from amazon of the expansion pack Battle of the gods - i've now had this delivered but I can't find any patches or find anything online that will enable me to play it - at first it said run as admin - tried that but it just doesn't want to launch.

Are you looking to make a patch for BOTG? ( for windows 10 )

Many thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2016, 03:35 pm by rupez »

Offline Handsome Matt

• August 2005
  • 209 Posts
  • Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!

• My Portfolio
« Reply #34 on: Dec 27, 2016, 03:58 pm »
you can download the botg patch here: http://www.bwfiles.com/files/file.php?id=1422 hope it helps :)

Offline rupez

• December 2016
  • 5 Posts
« Reply #35 on: Dec 30, 2016, 02:33 pm »
you can download the botg patch here: http://www.bwfiles.com/files/file.php?id=1422 hope it helps :)

It works!.

Cant thank you enough thanks for the hard work :angel

Offline Handsome Matt

• August 2005
  • 209 Posts

• My Portfolio
« Reply #36 on: Dec 30, 2016, 04:20 pm »
It works!.

Cant thank you enough thanks for the hard work :angel

You're welcome, good to hear it works :)

Offline Fuci

• December 2016
  • 1 Posts
  • Fuci has no influence.
« Reply #37 on: Dec 30, 2016, 04:39 pm »
Hey guys.

Could use a little help. I'm running BW2 on Windows 10 and everytime I fix some problem a new one appears. Downloaded both patches + both fan patches (before that I couldn't run the game at all), I am running it in compatibility mode W95 (which stopped graphical bugs and flickering but also made audio a bit stuttery but I can survive that) but the game reguraly crashes with "Core application has stopped running" message. It always happens after pretty much the same time as before, and I don't really know what to do now. I am running as admin, tried changing CPU affinity (CPU 0, also tried all of them at the same time) and it still happens.

Any help is appreciated.

Offline Handsome Matt

• August 2005
  • 209 Posts

• My Portfolio
« Reply #38 on: Dec 30, 2016, 05:41 pm »
Shouldn't be running in any comparability mode at all. (It bugs a lot) Just administrator.

Offline rupez

• December 2016
  • 5 Posts
« Reply #39 on: Dec 30, 2016, 06:52 pm »
Hey. Sorry slightly offtopic been looking over the forums and noticed alot of mods and downloadable maps - are these simple to install and play on windows 10?

Offline Handsome Matt

• August 2005
  • 209 Posts

• My Portfolio
« Reply #40 on: Dec 30, 2016, 08:48 pm »
Yeah they should all run and work fine.

Offline outdoorgirl

• December 2016
  • 3 Posts
« Reply #41 on: Jan 01, 2017, 10:58 pm »
I have found that if I set the priority to high, when I am switching the affinity, that the missing blocks go away.  I just wish I could get it to stop crashing when I save.

Offline Smurfie

• February 2017
  • 1 Posts
  • Smurfie has no influence.
« Reply #42 on: Feb 13, 2017, 10:24 pm »
I installed the latest fan patch hoping that it would fix the issues i have. The game crashes  randomly when i'm in game or sometimes it doesn't even let me load the saved file. It just stops working and crashes. can anyone help me with this problem :(

Offline sevenstones

• February 2017
  • 2 Posts
  • sevenstones has no influence.
« Reply #43 on: Feb 19, 2017, 01:53 pm »
Hi, created an account to post this. I've been trying to get BW2 working for about 3 days now with no luck.

The error message I've been getting is "Could not create the 3D device" as soon as the game is launched.
Event viewer log :

Faulting application name: white.exe, version: 1.2.0.0, time stamp: 0x43e21f5f
Faulting module name: white.exe, version: 1.2.0.0, time stamp: 0x43e21f5f
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x001c5063
Faulting process ID: 0x219c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d28ab644b0fe7f
Faulting application path: C:\Games\BlackWhite2\white.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Games\BlackWhite2\white.exe
Report ID: 889a1a27-2f3e-4cc2-b044-19e34cb3501e
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
I have tried:
Two different (downloaded) versions of the game
Patches 1.1, 1.2, and fan patch 1.3
Three different fixed executables
Updating my graphics driver
Disabling unnecessary Human Interface Devices (It killed an old game of mine once so I always try it now)
Creating an XP virtual machine and using all of the above
Various compatibility modes + resolution settings + core affinity + priority + run as admin
Force-installing dx9

My system specs are:

OS   : Win10 Home edition 10.0.14393
CPU : Intel core i3-6100 @ 3.7GHz, 2 cores 4 logical
RAM: 8GB
GFX: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 (6GB)

Interestingly, I get exactly the same error in the virtual machine as well.. No idea how that works. I've ordered a physical copy (I had one but lost the disk before) to see if I can use that to fix it, but am hoping someone here can help me!

EDIT:

The EA debugging program that is available from the disk seems to think that I have no graphics ram, working to resolve this now.
« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2017, 05:34 pm by sevenstones »

Offline Handsome Matt

• August 2005
  • 209 Posts

• My Portfolio
« Reply #44 on: Mar 08, 2017, 04:04 pm »
Does anyone mind updating the PCGamingWiki: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Black_%26_White_2

I don't personally have time, but it'd be a great help for people trying to find information about Black & White 2.