Author Topic: BW2 (and BotG) on Windows 7/8/10  (Read 44369 times)

Offline Heshaya

• May 2017
  • 6 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Heshaya has no influence.
Re: BW2 (and BotG) on Windows 7/8/10
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2017, 05:00 pm »
Can't download the patches for BW 2 and BotG. Dunno if it's my browser or my PC blocking it. It tells me that these programms might change my browserstartup and may cause damage to my pc :/ I'm pretty sure your files won't, but any solution ?
One of my friends can't download either... We're borth using Chrome. (It worked with BW 1 patches though o-O)

Offline Handsome Matt

• August 2005
  • 252 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!

• My Portfolio
« Reply #46 on: Jun 01, 2017, 03:51 am »
Hmm, I don't receive any of those error messages when I download it using Chrome. Is there no way to just ignore them?

Offline Heshaya

• May 2017
  • 6 Posts
  • Heshaya has no influence.
« Reply #47 on: Jun 01, 2017, 08:15 am »
Hmm, I don't receive any of those error messages when I download it using Chrome. Is there no way to just ignore them?

Don't know how to in Chrome, but I found a friend who was able to download and send me via Skype. Still strange that a few users seem to have problems downloading.

Offline negb

• September 2016
  • 2 Posts
  • negb has no influence.
« Reply #48 on: Jun 04, 2017, 08:07 pm »
Just wanted to say that I had the same problem on Chrome and couldn't bypass it. Ended up downloading on Internet Explorer  :laugh:
My game would boot up to the start screen but as soon as I pressed play, it'd disappear and do nothing. The patches made it work. Thanks  :D

Offline ChubbyHamster

• June 2017
  • 5 Posts
  • ChubbyHamster has no influence.
« Reply #49 on: Jun 11, 2017, 04:39 pm »
The game launches, I have no graphical bugs when the core affinity is set to 2, but it occasionally crashes, sometimes when saving, sometimes when doing some action. Is there a fix for this?

Offline Handsome Matt

• August 2005
  • 252 Posts
  • Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!

• My Portfolio
« Reply #50 on: Jun 15, 2017, 01:38 pm »
The game launches, I have no graphical bugs when the core affinity is set to 2, but it occasionally crashes, sometimes when saving, sometimes when doing some action. Is there a fix for this?

No idea what the occasional crashes some people get are about. As I usually say, if you can get me crash dumps I could probably fix it.

Offline ChubbyHamster

• June 2017
  • 5 Posts
« Reply #51 on: Jun 16, 2017, 04:02 pm »
No idea what the occasional crashes some people get are about. As I usually say, if you can get me crash dumps I could probably fix it.

Sorry I need to ask, but how do I get the crash dumps? I can't find them in the game files

EDIT:

Not entirely sure if this is what you're looking for to fix the crashes, but here's a DMP file from white.exe when it crashed as I tried to load a save:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/obalj0jxjxtxxgd/white.DMP
« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2017, 05:02 pm by ChubbyHamster »

Offline Handsome Matt

• August 2005
  • 252 Posts

• My Portfolio
« Reply #52 on: Jun 17, 2017, 12:32 pm »
That DMP file is perfect, thank you - I'll look at it over the weekend when I have a chance :)

Offline Handsome Matt

• August 2005
  • 252 Posts

• My Portfolio
« Reply #53 on: Jun 17, 2017, 07:18 pm »
You ran out of memory it seems, the game failed to allocate memory whilst loading a model. What are your specs? How much RAM do you have and how much stuff are you running in the background?

Offline ChubbyHamster

• June 2017
  • 5 Posts
« Reply #54 on: Jun 17, 2017, 07:33 pm »
You ran out of memory it seems, the game failed to allocate memory whilst loading a model. What are your specs? How much RAM do you have and how much stuff are you running in the background?

CPU: AMD FX-4300 (Quad Core, but I run the game with affinity set to use 2 cores to prevent the graphics bugging out)
GPU: AMD Radeon R7 200 Series
Core Clock: 300MHz | Memory Clock: 301MHz
RAM: 8GB (DDR3)
Motherboard: 760GM-P23 (FX)

When I'm playing Black & White 2, the only other 2 programs that I open are Discord & Steam. I haven't added the game to steam as a non-steam game either.

Sidenotes:
- I installed both official patches plus the fan patch in the correct order
- The game ran without problems on my PC when it was Windows 7

EDIT:

I ended the steam and discord processes but I still ended up having the game crash.
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2017, 08:25 pm by ChubbyHamster »

Offline ChubbyHamster

• June 2017
  • 5 Posts
« Reply #55 on: Jun 20, 2017, 05:08 pm »
Other things I should point out:
- The game installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Lionhead Studios\Black & White 2 (savegame files are in my documents). Basically, its installed to the default place.
- I'm not running any compatibility settings and I'm not running as Admin
- The problem still happens after a completely fresh re-install of the game via disc.

If you can suggest anything else as a viable solution, let me know.

EDIT:

Here are the apps, background processes, and windows processes (screenshots):

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/325290624582680581/326789023634948100/unknown.png
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/325290624582680581/326789136491216926/unknown.png
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/325290624582680581/326789311922044928/unknown.png

It is spread across 3 screenshots so I can show all the processes without the need for resizing to fit all 3 screenshots into 1 image.

Yes, Discord is running, but like I said, Black & White 2 crashes even if the app isn't running.
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2017, 07:29 pm by ChubbyHamster »

Offline ConvertingVegetarians

• June 2017
  • 1 Posts
  • ConvertingVegetarians has no influence.
« Reply #56 on: Jun 28, 2017, 08:36 pm »
Other things I should point out:
- The game installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Lionhead Studios\Black & White 2 (savegame files are in my documents). Basically, its installed to the default place.
- I'm not running any compatibility settings and I'm not running as Admin
- The problem still happens after a completely fresh re-install of the game via disc.

If you can suggest anything else as a viable solution, let me know.

EDIT:
Here are the apps, background processes, and windows processes (screenshots):

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/325290624582680581/326789023634948100/unknown.png
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/325290624582680581/326789136491216926/unknown.png
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/325290624582680581/326789311922044928/unknown.png

It is spread across 3 screenshots so I can show all the processes without the need for resizing to fit all 3 screenshots into 1 image.

Yes, Discord is running, but like I said, Black & White 2 crashes even if the app isn't running.
same problem here ! Through the decades i played in BnW and BnW 2 without any problems, but now game just randomly crashes and graphic bugs :c :suspect

Offline Handsome Matt

• August 2005
  • 252 Posts

• My Portfolio
« Reply #57 on: Jun 28, 2017, 11:37 pm »
Is there a specific OS version these problems started on? I remember playing the game fine on 7, could this be an issue introduced in 8 or 10?

Let me know if you manage to play the game fine and what OS version you're using.

Offline ChubbyHamster

• June 2017
  • 5 Posts
« Reply #58 on: Jun 29, 2017, 04:02 pm »
I also remember it running fine on Windows 7, without any patches. Once I upgraded my PC to Windows 10 though, I started having this problem. I could imagine that I'd have the exact same situation on Windows 10 if SafeDisc support wasn't removed, but I could be wrong. I also get this exact same problem when I try using a fixed exe instead of simply installing the patch, though I'm guessing they work similarly anyways.

My game is a DVD disc by the way, so maybe the patch just doesn't work with it.

Offline Handsome Matt

• August 2005
  • 252 Posts

• My Portfolio
« Reply #59 on: Jun 29, 2017, 07:04 pm »
I also remember it running fine on Windows 7, without any patches. Once I upgraded my PC to Windows 10 though, I started having this problem. I could imagine that I'd have the exact same situation on Windows 10 if SafeDisc support wasn't removed, but I could be wrong. I also get this exact same problem when I try using a fixed exe instead of simply installing the patch, though I'm guessing they work similarly anyways.

My game is a DVD disc by the way, so maybe the patch just doesn't work with it.

Hmm perhaps removing the SafeDisc DRM protection causes the crashes? I think we need to try the patch and/or a NoCD crack on Windows 7.

With the patch I just ran the original game exe through a standard SafeDisc remover and then based my work on top of that, it might of not worked fully.