Author Topic: Updated script for Our Downloads.  (Read 7088 times)

Offline Kays

• Administrator
  • March 2003
  • 8,638 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 97
  • Kays is awe-inspiring!Kays is awe-inspiring!Kays is awe-inspiring!Kays is awe-inspiring!Kays is awe-inspiring!Kays is awe-inspiring!Kays is awe-inspiring!Kays is awe-inspiring!Kays is awe-inspiring!Kays is awe-inspiring!Kays is awe-inspiring!Kays is awe-inspiring!

• Kayssplace
Updated script for Our Downloads.
« on: May 18, 2009, 12:17 am »
I've just finished updating the script which handles the downloads to a new version. Something which I've been working on for a while. It's got a cleaner look and incorporates a number of new features.

However it is still under development and in the stage of being fine tuned (I don't dare say debugged). As a result you might notice some problems or peculiarities. If you do, please use the "Report a Problem" link in the top info box and report the nature of your problem so it can be looked into. If you are a member, please post on this thread.

I hope you enjoy the new look.

The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with. - Marty Feldman

Offline Ascarona

• August 2008
  • 205 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Ascarona is working their way up.Ascarona is working their way up.Ascarona is working their way up.
  • THIS...IS...SPORE!

Re: Updated script for Our Downloads.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 07:54 am »
Looks great kays  :;):
Tomorrow, I will finish the Grox once and for all, ill dump a PB down their throats!

Offline fenton_pat

• Administrator
  • March 2003
  • 3,373 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 37
  • fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!fenton_pat is awe-inspiring!
  • Insane Irishman

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 09:21 am »
It's looking good kays, but I'm sorry to say I found a broken link in the navigation tabs underneath the forum search.

The "Do-Dads" link (where the Arcade link used to be) is broken.  I found it as I was looking to get into the arcade.  The old URL for the Arcade still works.  I only know this as I had is cached in my browser.
Demon chicken tamer extraordinaire :D !

Offline Sylcai

• November 2006
  • 769 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 10
  • Sylcai has an aura about them.Sylcai has an aura about them.Sylcai has an aura about them.Sylcai has an aura about them.Sylcai has an aura about them.Sylcai has an aura about them.Sylcai has an aura about them.Sylcai has an aura about them.Sylcai has an aura about them.Sylcai has an aura about them.
  • Silvester
    • WWW: http://www.22cans.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 01:01 pm »
I noticed a reduction in loading time  :blush or, that's just my imagination!  :upside

Either way! Great job!  :yes
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
Godus Avatars with Fancy Border;
https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0By3_EkkYdopMODJ4MlN0dllxazA/edit

Offline Kays

• Administrator
  • March 2003
  • 8,638 Posts
  • Kays is awe-inspiring!Kays is awe-inspiring!Kays is awe-inspiring!Kays is awe-inspiring!Kays is awe-inspiring!Kays is awe-inspiring!Kays is awe-inspiring!Kays is awe-inspiring!Kays is awe-inspiring!Kays is awe-inspiring!Kays is awe-inspiring!Kays is awe-inspiring!

• Kayssplace
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 01:40 pm »
Thanks Pat. I had that commented out on my test setup since the Arcade isn't installed there. I'll fix that shortly. Btw, there is a link to the Arcade in the top drop down menu under More.

I'm keeping an eye on the error logs and do have a number of things to look into.

I noticed a reduction in loading time  :blush or, that's just my imagination!  :upside

That is quite possible. The script should run quicker since I've streamlined the code and drastically reduced the number of database queries used.

However, a number of months ago, our host moved the site to a new server. Dual quad core Xeon proccessors with 16 GB of memory. Quite impressive indeed.

Now in saying that, some pages with a lot of images could have a longer creation time. I only copied the screenshots over and not the thumbnails. If the thumbnail for an image isn't available the script will generate a new one. So until they have all been created, there could be some longer page creation times.

I'm glad that evryone approves and that there hasn't been a whole slew of problems.
* Kays wipes forehead.

The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with. - Marty Feldman

Offline Kays

• Administrator
  • March 2003
  • 8,638 Posts

• Kayssplace
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 03:28 pm »
Got the Arcade link reinstated.  :suspect

I've gotta question.. ???

I'm just starting to work on porting the script so it can be used for the FAQs also and I'm wondering what to do about the comments there. One thought I've got is when  a new comment is created to create a topic on the boards in the general discussion forum for game. But not to move all of the comments like I did for the Downloads.

Offline Tortoile

• May 2009
  • 3 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Tortoile has no influence.
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 05:14 am »
'Downloads' page and sub pages bring up blank screens.  Direct linking to pictures brings up 'Page Not Found'.

Offline Kays

• Administrator
  • March 2003
  • 8,638 Posts

• Kayssplace
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 05:27 am »
Sorry about that. Got it fixed.

Thanks for reporting it. :)

We don't allow direct linking to images, hence the redirect.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 05:29 am by Kays »

Offline Tortoile

• May 2009
  • 3 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Tortoile has no influence.
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 05:37 am »
Thank you for your rapid response.

Offline SkelApe

• November 2007
  • 817 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • SkelApe is awe-inspiring!SkelApe is awe-inspiring!SkelApe is awe-inspiring!SkelApe is awe-inspiring!SkelApe is awe-inspiring!SkelApe is awe-inspiring!SkelApe is awe-inspiring!SkelApe is awe-inspiring!SkelApe is awe-inspiring!SkelApe is awe-inspiring!SkelApe is awe-inspiring!SkelApe is awe-inspiring!
  • Tibetan landscape coming soon!

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 08:47 am »
Hmmm... the edit option seems to have disappeared, along with a few others.

Offline Kays

• Administrator
  • March 2003
  • 8,638 Posts

• Kayssplace
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 01:17 pm »
Ok, that's back again. Silly mistake. :rolleyes