Author Topic: BW1 on Windows 7/8/10  (Read 158117 times)

Offline Quil the Great

• February 2019
  • 1 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Quil the Great has no influence.
Re: BW1 on Windows 7/8/10
« Reply #195 on: Feb 06, 2019, 06:39 pm »
 :help I made this game start okay, using the tips from this post and some others (I.E. installing to a location other than default) on Windows 8, but the frame rate is abysmal! I tried a fix (put a file called DDRAW.DLL into the install folder), and it made a negligible difference. It is sort of playable but rather annoying, so if anyone has any help, it would be much appreciated! The hardware is an intel Core 2 Duo and 2GB of memory. Thanks!
-Quil

Offline roelu

• March 2019
  • 1 Posts
  • roelu has no influence.
« Reply #196 on: Mar 01, 2019, 04:18 pm »
Hi,

Running W10 with everything set up to the initial post's specifications (with no addons), the game will start to load, give me the Lionhead/Intel intro, allow me to pick a name and symbol (if no profile is found already), and then cut straight to a screen that asks
    Please choose from one of the following options:
    • Start the game normally
    • Skip straight to the Creature select
    • Skip all of the Creature tutorial
    • Keep your old Creature
    After picking any option, I see the God Hand for a second and then the program promptly closes. Event viewer gave this error log:

Code: [Select]
Faulting application name: runblack.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x3d0ecf82
Faulting module name: LHMultiplayerR.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x3cd2b1cf
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00021c87
Faulting process id: 0x36f4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d4d045c935acf2
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black & White\runblack.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black & White\LHMultiplayerR.dll
Report Id: 89fec651-10a9-4fc8-a130-61e6b788ce25
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I have no intention to play multiplayer so I don't need a working LHMultiplayerR.dll, but I'm not sure how to work around this myself. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2019, 07:06 pm by roelu »

Online Handsome Matt

• August 2005
  • 280 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!

• My Portfolio
« Reply #197 on: Mar 01, 2019, 04:48 pm »
The event viewer log is really helpful actually, I'll investigate - from my knowledge though LHMultiplayer.dll relies on some really really old modem APIs in Windows that are probably removed, I'll look into it and confirm it if so, I think I'll be able to patch it too.

Offline Baz786

• March 2017
  • 6 Posts
  • Baz786 has no influence.
« Reply #198 on: Mar 03, 2019, 03:17 pm »
Handsome Matt, could make a patch so we as the B&W faithful can play Creature Isle with launch problems on Windows 10. I can get B&W, B&W2, Battle of the Gods to work with your great patches. Just Creature |sle is the problem.

Offline Piothr

• March 2019
  • 1 Posts
  • Piothr has no influence.
« Reply #199 on: Mar 11, 2019, 02:29 pm »
Thank You so much for the tutorial, I finally managed to get BW1 to work, thanks to you.

However, I ran into a problem, which I managed to solve (I'm not in any way an expert, so I consider myself simply lucky)

My problem was that the patches (1.1 and 1.2) didn't want to install on my computer. A "catastrophic failure" error came up and I couldn't do anything about it. The 1.4 patch installed correctly, but the game kept crashing as soon as it was launched.

The problem I had came out to be caused by the InstallShield Installer.

My solution was:
1. Uninstalling the game (by deleting the folders and registry entries mentioned in the beginning of the tutorial)
2. Moving all folders from C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield Installation Information to a folder on Desktop (just in case i screw something up)
3. Installing the game according to the tutorial, BUT Changing the name of the folder where the game is installed to C:\Games\BW1 (I have read in another tutorial that special characters and spaces can make the game not install correctly).

Did the trick for me, I hope it helps!
And once again, Thank you Handsome Matt for helping me to bring back childhood memories!

Offline crazystein34

• March 2019
  • 2 Posts
  • crazystein34 has no influence.
« Reply #200 on: Mar 28, 2019, 10:35 pm »
This update works like a dream to get Black and White to work on my PC, but Iím having issues running Creature Isle. Is does this fan patch apply only to vanilla Black and White?

Offline crazystein34

• March 2019
  • 2 Posts
  • crazystein34 has no influence.
« Reply #201 on: Mar 29, 2019, 02:58 am »
This guide works amazing to get Black and White Vanilla running on my Windows 8. But Iím having issues getting Creature Isle to run.

Offline CultOfByron

• September 2009
  • 6 Posts
  • CultOfByron has no influence.
« Reply #202 on: Apr 10, 2019, 02:23 pm »
Hi there, my problem is with the installation of the patches. I have the game installed in C:\Games\Black & White and when I try to apply the patches I get the following messages; "Neither command line parameter specified is an existing directory" and "You do not have the correct version of Black & White installed to use ". Only thing I've done after the install is add the creature unlocks and Village Banter. Have also tried running patches as admin. and no joy...Any and all help is more than welcome.

And figured out my mistake. Got it patched an running, fingers crossed all continues to go well. Matt, you're a legend for this fixes/patches. :)

I realise that this is going back 3 years now but I am having the exact same problem and nothing I try is fixing it.

I am able to bypass the official patches and install 1.4 but the game executable stops working just as the first loading screen appears (the one with the parents and child on their way to the beach)

Mortise are you still around? If so, how did you manage to fix it? Otherwise, has anyone else encountered this problem?

Edit: Never mind, I ran CCleaner's registry cleaner after all my failed attempts!  Then I followed the advice of Sylcai elsewhere and renamed the install folder to contain no spaces or symbols and it all worked fine!
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2019, 02:44 pm by CultOfByron »

Offline Lovecraft

• January 2018
  • 8 Posts
  • Lovecraft has no influence.
« Reply #203 on: Apr 15, 2019, 09:26 pm »
the game stops working when the loading screen apear (the bar does not move). And that after updating by fanpatch 1.41, without patch game work, but this is not the same. Patch 1.1 and 1.2 still don't work for me ;( (windows 10 64bit).

Help Handsome guy!

Edit1:
https://zapodaj.net/images/0ecb508f16bc6.jpg - screen of instal fail log

and next window is not in english so i can translate to english: the installed black & white version is not suitable for running this patch.

Edit2:
without patch 1.41 game work just fine, after installing patching crush appear

Edit3:
i was trying instal b&w on gf and friend laptop + another pc, following instructions... the same result. Something goes wrong with patch 1.1, 1.2 and 1.41. Again ctd on loading screen with trying another instal variations.
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2019, 07:50 am by Lovecraft »

Offline Cuppycake

• April 2019
  • 4 Posts
  • Cuppycake has no influence.
« Reply #204 on: Apr 21, 2019, 05:29 am »
Should this patch fix short draw distances? If not, would another unofficial patch that does be compatible with this?

Offline Leviathan

• April 2019
  • 10 Posts
  • Leviathan has no influence.
« Reply #205 on: Apr 23, 2019, 09:23 am »
So when I tried to apply the first patch I got an "An Installation support file could not be found. Catastrophic Failure." error message. I figured I should uninstall the game, delete the reg's and reinstall... but now get the same error when I try to uninstall! so I deleted the files from Program Files (x86)... but now I can't even reinstall, uninstall, anything! I just keep getting the same error.

EDIT: I fixed it! If anyone else gets this problem, just delete the files in C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield Installation Information
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2019, 10:20 am by Leviathan »

Offline Lovecraft

• January 2018
  • 8 Posts
« Reply #206 on: Apr 23, 2019, 05:28 pm »
So when I tried to apply the first patch I got an "An Installation support file could not be found. Catastrophic Failure." error message. I figured I should uninstall the game, delete the reg's and reinstall... but now get the same error when I try to uninstall! so I deleted the files from Program Files (x86)... but now I can't even reinstall, uninstall, anything! I just keep getting the same error.

EDIT: I fixed it! If anyone else gets this problem, just delete the files in C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield Installation Information

after removing C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield Installation Information my laptop say that b&w is not installed

Offline Leviathan

• April 2019
  • 10 Posts
« Reply #207 on: Apr 24, 2019, 06:21 am »
after removing C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield Installation Information my laptop say that b&w is not installed

You might have to go to where you have b&w installed (most likely C:\Program Files (x86)\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black & White if you're using Windows 10) and delete those files and then reinstall from scratch.

I hope that helps.

Offline Lovecraft

• January 2018
  • 8 Posts
« Reply #208 on: Apr 24, 2019, 04:49 pm »
You might have to go to where you have b&w installed (most likely C:\Program Files (x86)\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black & White if you're using Windows 10) and delete those files and then reinstall from scratch.

I hope that helps.

fixed, but still patch 1.10, 1.20 don't work and 1.41 make ctd on loading screen...

Offline Leviathan

• April 2019
  • 10 Posts
« Reply #209 on: Apr 25, 2019, 02:17 am »
fixed, but still patch 1.10, 1.20 don't work and 1.41 make ctd on loading screen...

Have you run the patches as admin and have you deleted these in regedit?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black and White Clan Patch
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black and White Patch