Author Topic: BW1 on Windows 7/8/10  (Read 147386 times)

Offline Quil the Great

• February 2019
  • 1 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Quil the Great has no influence.
Re: BW1 on Windows 7/8/10
« Reply #195 on: Feb 06, 2019, 06:39 pm »
 :help I made this game start okay, using the tips from this post and some others (I.E. installing to a location other than default) on Windows 8, but the frame rate is abysmal! I tried a fix (put a file called DDRAW.DLL into the install folder), and it made a negligible difference. It is sort of playable but rather annoying, so if anyone has any help, it would be much appreciated! The hardware is an intel Core 2 Duo and 2GB of memory. Thanks!
-Quil

Offline roelu

• March 2019
  • 1 Posts
  • roelu has no influence.
« Reply #196 on: Mar 01, 2019, 04:18 pm »
Hi,

Running W10 with everything set up to the initial post's specifications (with no addons), the game will start to load, give me the Lionhead/Intel intro, allow me to pick a name and symbol (if no profile is found already), and then cut straight to a screen that asks
    Please choose from one of the following options:
    • Start the game normally
    • Skip straight to the Creature select
    • Skip all of the Creature tutorial
    • Keep your old Creature
    After picking any option, I see the God Hand for a second and then the program promptly closes. Event viewer gave this error log:

Code: [Select]
Faulting application name: runblack.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x3d0ecf82
Faulting module name: LHMultiplayerR.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x3cd2b1cf
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00021c87
Faulting process id: 0x36f4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d4d045c935acf2
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black & White\runblack.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black & White\LHMultiplayerR.dll
Report Id: 89fec651-10a9-4fc8-a130-61e6b788ce25
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I have no intention to play multiplayer so I don't need a working LHMultiplayerR.dll, but I'm not sure how to work around this myself. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2019, 07:06 pm by roelu »

Offline Handsome Matt

• August 2005
  • 275 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!Handsome Matt is awe-inspiring!

• My Portfolio
« Reply #197 on: Mar 01, 2019, 04:48 pm »
The event viewer log is really helpful actually, I'll investigate - from my knowledge though LHMultiplayer.dll relies on some really really old modem APIs in Windows that are probably removed, I'll look into it and confirm it if so, I think I'll be able to patch it too.

Offline Baz786

• March 2017
  • 6 Posts
  • Baz786 has no influence.
« Reply #198 on: Mar 03, 2019, 03:17 pm »
Handsome Matt, could make a patch so we as the B&W faithful can play Creature Isle with launch problems on Windows 10. I can get B&W, B&W2, Battle of the Gods to work with your great patches. Just Creature |sle is the problem.

Offline Piothr

• March 2019
  • 1 Posts
  • Piothr has no influence.
« Reply #199 on: Mar 11, 2019, 02:29 pm »
Thank You so much for the tutorial, I finally managed to get BW1 to work, thanks to you.

However, I ran into a problem, which I managed to solve (I'm not in any way an expert, so I consider myself simply lucky)

My problem was that the patches (1.1 and 1.2) didn't want to install on my computer. A "catastrophic failure" error came up and I couldn't do anything about it. The 1.4 patch installed correctly, but the game kept crashing as soon as it was launched.

The problem I had came out to be caused by the InstallShield Installer.

My solution was:
1. Uninstalling the game (by deleting the folders and registry entries mentioned in the beginning of the tutorial)
2. Moving all folders from C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield Installation Information to a folder on Desktop (just in case i screw something up)
3. Installing the game according to the tutorial, BUT Changing the name of the folder where the game is installed to C:\Games\BW1 (I have read in another tutorial that special characters and spaces can make the game not install correctly).

Did the trick for me, I hope it helps!
And once again, Thank you Handsome Matt for helping me to bring back childhood memories!