Author Topic: BW2 (and BotG) on Windows 7/8/10  (Read 117966 times)

Offline katshitcrazy

• March 2018
  • 1 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • katshitcrazy has no influence.
Re: BW2 (and BotG) on Windows 7/8/10
« Reply #75 on: Mar 15, 2018, 02:32 am »
So I was able to get Black and White 2 running after downloading the patches.
But I don't understand how to run the Battle of the Gods expansion.
When I downloaded the expansion all I see are reloaded.nfo, rld-botd.bin, and rld-botg.cue files.

Am I suppose to put those somewhere? I downloaded the BOtG patch as well so I'm seeing the BattleOfTheGods.exe but every time I run it I get a "The code execution cannot proceed because binkw32.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program fix this problem."

Any help would be nice.

Offline anarchy_bear

• April 2018
  • 1 Posts
  • anarchy_bear has no influence.
« Reply #76 on: Apr 03, 2018, 07:34 pm »
Hi There,

Hopefully this is still the current place to get help on getting this running.

I've followed the instructions and can get the game to start up, and I can create a profile and press 'New Game'.  Unfortunately whilst loading the game then crashes.  I suspect this maybe graphics card/driver related but just a hunch at the moment.  When reloading the profile created has disappeared so does not look like any settings are saved.  Any guidance would be appreciated.

Running Windows 10 (1709)
Processor: AMD FX 6350
Graphics Card - AMD R9 290
Radeon Software Version - 18.1.1

Checked event viewer and get an event ID:1000 (pretty generic)

Faulting application name: white.exe, version: 1.2.0.0, time stamp: 0x43e21f5f
Faulting module name: white.exe, version: 1.2.0.0, time stamp: 0x43e21f5f
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0052a125
Faulting process ID: 0x164c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d3cb74fa94fa2d
Faulting application path: D:\Games\Lionhead Studios\Black & White 2\white.exe
Faulting module path: D:\Games\Lionhead Studios\Black & White 2\white.exe
Report ID: 108b65b5-e70f-4928-b88e-fdece6733f6c
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

As well as trying your guide installing the patches 1.1/1.2/1.3 have also tried a no-cd patch and trying multiple and various combinations in the comparability menu.

Thanks in advance.

Offline AlienT

• January 2019
  • 1 Posts
  • AlienT has no influence.
« Reply #77 on: Jan 17, 2019, 06:43 pm »
I found the solution to "Could not create 3D device". You have ran the game before, go to (My Documents\Black & White 2) and delete the "Settings.ini".

Solved the problem for me.

Offline IIAnnaBananaII

• February 2019
  • 1 Posts
  • IIAnnaBananaII has no influence.
  • I love to play games i mean a lot of games
    • Deviantart
« Reply #78 on: Feb 01, 2019, 02:16 pm »
Still works!! thank you for this patch now i can play on win 10 and enjoy it without having to worry about finding a fix :D

:fixed

Bananas!!

Offline venaleaf

• March 2019
  • 1 Posts
  • venaleaf has no influence.
« Reply #79 on: Mar 20, 2019, 09:12 pm »
After installing, everything runs fine but the children aren't growing up..? not sure what to do  :( :help

Offline Sgt_TX

• March 2019
  • 1 Posts
  • Sgt_TX has no influence.
« Reply #80 on: Apr 01, 2019, 01:43 pm »
Hello All,
  I have recently installed Black and White 2 and I have slowly been trying to fix it up to where it will run well, with no problems. But I am still having crashing issues.

Core Application Crash - I'm still getting this crash with all the patches installed and it will happen randomly.
 Save File Access Problem/Crash - When I try and access my save files they are not there or some of them will be missing. When I restart the game, they will be there and I can save successfully, but after the first save they will be gone.

These are really my last 2 problems, I somehow fixed the Children ageing problem. I have all three patches installed (Fan Patch 3 is a must have and wonderfully done patch, Thanks to Handsomematt) I have changed the compatibility and I have found out that changing my cores in the affinity hasn't really made my game better or worse. Please help, I have already made it to the last Japanese island through all this crashing and it has been honestly very frustrating. Just trying to seek some advice. Thanks.

Specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Intel i5-3570k 3.4Ghz
AMD Radeon HD 7900 series

Offline Migra

• April 2019
  • 2 Posts
  • Migra has no influence.
« Reply #81 on: Apr 02, 2019, 04:32 am »
I'm just gonna follow along here. I'm having trouble launching BoTG on my Win 10.

I hope for swift assistance :D And THANK YOU SO MUCH for this amazing file upload :D

Offline S_Phil1690

• June 2015
  • 25 Posts
  • S_Phil1690 has no influence.
« Reply #82 on: Apr 02, 2019, 11:56 pm »
After installing, everything runs fine but the children aren't growing up..? not sure what to do  :( :help

I had the same problem. Did you install the fan patch? That worked for me.

Offline oyyo

• April 2019
  • 1 Posts
  • oyyo has no influence.
« Reply #83 on: Apr 03, 2019, 12:16 am »
So I was able to get Black and White 2 running after downloading the patches.
But I don't understand how to run the Battle of the Gods expansion.
When I downloaded the expansion all I see are reloaded.nfo, rld-botd.bin, and rld-botg.cue files.

Am I suppose to put those somewhere? I downloaded the BOtG patch as well so I'm seeing the BattleOfTheGods.exe but every time I run it I get a "The code execution cannot proceed because binkw32.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program fix this problem."

Any help would be nice.

Good news: I had the same problem and figured out how to get around it. Look in your Black and White 2 folder and copy the binkw32.dll file to the expansion. Basically that file is the "I totally got this legitly" flag.

Bad news: now my game will launch and then never actually appear. Task manager shows it existing for a moment before apparently crashing. I have the fan patch installed and everything; it's quite obnoxious. Let me know if you do or don't have the same issue.

Edit: things I have tried to get it going:
-turning the base game files (without the patch) into an ISO and mounting it.
-having that mounted while I try to play the fan-addition.
-Switching around files like a madman in the folders to make sure the application is able to read everything properly. The answer is yes, but god knows what the issue is.

I had this issue for the base game too, but I believe the fan patch fixed it. My current thought is to make another copy and try to mount all of the files (BoTG.exe, binkw32.dll, reloaded, rld-botg.bin, rld-botg.cue) and see if that'll do anything. I'll let you know how it goes.

If anyone's more computer savvy than me, please help. I'm learning through a lot of trial and error atm.
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2019, 12:23 am by oyyo »

Offline Leviathan

• April 2019
  • 4 Posts
  • Leviathan has no influence.
« Reply #84 on: Apr 10, 2019, 10:32 am »
I'm having a couple of problems.

Even though the in-game graphical options are all set to high, the textures are all low quality. I've downloaded and installed both official patches and the fan patch, I'm running as admin.
I've tried setting everything in the graphics.config to 3,0,3 but that doesn't seem to do anything. I've also tried running in compatibility mode for XP, Vista, 7, and 8 but that also has no effect.

I'm guessing the game doesn't recognise modern(ish) graphics cards. Does anyone know how I can get it to run the highest graphics settings?

I'm on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit and my graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce GT 640M/Intel HD Graphics 4000 (it's one of those annoying computers that switches to the better graphics card to run certain programs. the game uses the Nvidia card, I don't know if that has any impact).

Edit: Can anyone tell me how I can get the game to run graphics cards it doesn't recognize at 3 0 3 (highest graphical settings)?

« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2019, 06:15 am by Leviathan »